Lotus plumbs the history of Chinese “flower girls” & modern-day sex work / Refinery 29
Zhang Lijia is the author of “Socialism Is Great!” A Worker’s Memoir of the New China. In this article, she writes about how finding out that her grandmother was a “flower girl” — a euphemism for prostitute — inspired her to write her newly published novel, Lotus.
- Film review: ‘Some Like It Hot’ more like lukewarm water / China Film Insider
- In China, pollution fears are both literal and metaphorical / NPR
- Parking in China can be a long march / WSJ (paywall)
- China health plan threatened by shortage of family doctors / Financial Times (paywall)
- China city bans second-time wedding banquets / BBC News
- Stanford’s Beijing study abroad program suspended indefinitely / Stanford Daily