An attack in Xinjiang amid further crackdown on Uighurs
Top politics and current affairs news for February 15, 2017. Part of the daily SupChina news roundup "A surprise win for the Trump brand in China."
Armed police out in full force after deadly Xinjiang terror attack / SCMP
Three knife-wielding attackers, identified anecdotally as part of the Uighur ethnic minority group, killed five and wounded five residents of Pishan County in far-western Xinjiang Province. Police on high alert now patrol every 10 to 20 meters in Pishan, SCMP reports. The last year has seen an intensification of the police state in Xinjiang under its new provincial Party boss, Chen Quanguo 陈全国. For more on the state of affairs for Uighurs in Xinjiang, see a detailed roundup published earlier in the month by the Jamestown Foundation.
China’s military progress challenges Western dominance, says IISS / Deutsche Welle
A new report from the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies claims that China is reaching “near-parity” with Western countries in military technology, particularly air power. Though China remains far behind the United States in military spending, it has comfortably claimed the number two spot and is now far ahead of any single European country. Advanced Chinese air-to-air and nuclear-enabled missiles, as well as the nation’s striking advances in “intelligent” weaponry, have recently received much attention.
- Amid protests, China aluminum firm says eco standards met / ABC News
- EU preparing early China summit in message to Trump – sources / Reuters
- Analysis: Stuck in the middle – on the self-censorship of Chinese media / China Media Project
- Opinion: Maybe Trump worries Xi, but another matter is of more immediate concern – argues that Xi is far more concerned with internal Party discipline / Politics from the Provinces
- China considering making foreign submersibles travel on surface / Reuters
- Chinese students in the U.S. are using ‘inclusion’ and ‘diversity’ to oppose a Dalai Lama graduation speech / Quartz
China in 2 minutes a day
More from SupChina
Our Podcast Sinica
Tuesday, July 25
The Beijing Opera
Jul 25, 2017