Ivanka brand wallpaper?
Top business and technology news for February 21, 2017. Part of the daily SupChina news roundup "5 million yuan rewards for informants in Xinjiang."
Dozens of Chinese firms apply to use ‘Ivanka’ as their trademark / South China Morning Post
Chinese companies have submitted at least 65 applications to use “Ivanka,” the name of the eldest daughter of Donald Trump, as a trademark for products ranging from cosmetics to wallpaper to alcohol. Most of the applications are still being processed. China’s law and regulations allow for businesses to use foreign names and the Chinese translation of them as trademarks. However, it remains to be seen whether those applications would be approved. The president himself was last week granted trademark protection in China for the use of his surname in the construction industry.
Alibaba expands bricks-and-mortar retail push with Bailian deal / Reuters
On Monday, China’s biggest ecommerce company, Alibaba, announced a partnership deal with Bailian, the country’s largest retailer by store numbers, to use big data to drive sales at bricks-and-mortar stores. As online sales growth slows, the deal is expected to help Alibaba capture a bigger share of the retail market. Under the agreement, the two firms are expected to “cooperate on supply chain technology using Alibaba’s big data capabilities.” Bailian, which operates 4,700 outlets in 200 cities, will integrate Alipay payments with its existing membership program.
- China’s massive farming potential could be unlocked by mortgages / Bloomberg
- Shenzhen police raid four companies in futures-fraud probe / Caixin
- China’s Sinochem may sell 40 percent stake in Brazil’s Peregrino oilfield: sources / Reuters
- Top beermakers struggle with China’s changing tastes / Bloomberg
- China’s first ‘deep learning lab’ intensifies challenge to U.S. in artificial intelligence race / SCMP
- U.S. firms in China see chance for reset on market access / WSJ (paywall)
China in 2 minutes a day
More from SupChina
Tuesday, April 25
The Jinshanling Wall
Apr 25, 2017