A boy band that is the future of communism
Top society and culture news for March 15, 2017. Part of the daily SupChina news roundup "The case of the missing Politburo member."
- China’s first successful homegrown boy band is incredibly wholesome / Quartz
The Fighting Boys (aka TFBOYS) is China’s most popular homegrown boy band. One measure of its success is that a note in 2014 by member Wang Junkai 王俊凯 holds the Guinness World Record for the most number of reposts on the social media platform Weibo, where he thanked his fans for supporting him on the occasion of his 15th birthday. As of today, his post (in Chinese) now has more than 213 million reposts. The band’s members are squeaky clean and sing about doing their homework, being the future of communism, and patriotism. The Quartz article linked above includes a video to give you a taste of their saccharine songs.
- Unexpected? Lhasa is China’s happiest city of the year (again) / What’s on Weibo
- An educated man is not a pot / China Heritage
- Meet China’s oldest photographer, 105 years old and still snapping / Shanghaiist
- Chinese-Korean co-production halted over THAAD fallout / China Film Insider
China in 2 minutes a day
More from SupChina
Thursday, March 23
Great Wall of China
Mar 23, 2017