SupChina seeks a dynamic editor-in-chief ready to lead our media company through its next exciting stage of growth as we continue to provide thoughtful, comprehensive and nuanced news and analysis about the business, politics and culture of a nation that is reshaping the world.
You'll ensure that our articles, website, newsletter, app, podcast, photos and social media presences exhibit the quality and integrity that our loyal audience of China watchers has grown to love and respect.
You need to form and execute a broad editorial vision while being unafraid to get your hands dirty with the nitty-gritty of putting together and managing our suite of products. You'll oversee another editor and interns, and work closely with the talented partners who help make SupChina what it is today. They include Kaiser Kuo and Jeremy Goldkorn of the Sinica Podcast, the renowned photographer Michael Yamashita and others to come.
Speaking engagements, interviews with media outlets and providing your own analysis of the news about China will be part of the mix of your responsibilities. Chinese-language skills will be important given the role will involve interacting with people from China and taking regular trips to the nation.
This is a high-profile, high-energy, high-opportunity position with a young company that aims to build the world's best destination for keeping up with and understanding China. You'll be joining a team of experienced journalists who have worked at publications that include The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Financial Times.
* Establish and execute broad editorial goals in conjunction with the SupChina team.
* Work with freelancers, staff and partners to conceptualize, edit and produce regular editorial content, including essays, articles, podcasts, photos, videos and data visualizations.
* Contribute to and initiate intelligent conversations and observations about China on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
* Identify, evaluate and coordinate high-quality partnerships with other organizations.
* Collaborate with developers and the SupChina team to evolve and maintain its suite of products.
* Grow and manage a pool of talented freelancers.
* Write regularly about Chinese business, politics and/or culture.
* Give presentations and speeches at events.
* Provide interviews to media outlets with the goal of becoming a popular source for journalists seeking expertise on China.
* Help manage the tools and services used to produce SupChina's content.
* Based in New York
* Mandarin speaker
* At least eight years of journalism experience
* Able to manage a small but growing staff
* Excited by and experienced with covering news about China
* Refined writing and editing skills
* Active on social media
* Dedicated to building upon and growing a loyal audience
* Comfortable staying connected with a global team via Slack and email
* Experience with Google Docs and Microsoft Office
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and samples of their work to email@example.com.