SupChina seeks an intern based in New York, NY, to assist with a range of editorial, web production, and research tasks for the period roughly September to December 2017.
This internship is designed as a 10–15 hours/week workplace supplement to the coursework of an undergraduate or graduate student in journalism, China or Asia studies, international studies, or any other discipline that relates to China.
Recent graduates may also apply, though keep in mind that this opportunity is intended as a low-time-commitment, unpaid position. We will help students gain credit for the internship. For a highly qualified candidate near graduation or recently graduated, this opportunity may turn into a near-full-time internship with a stipend.
- Assist associate editors with daily tasks, including news curation, news and feature content editing, article publishing via WordPress, video and photo production, social media, and more depending on your skills, the needs of the team, and your schedule and interests.
- Help produce weekly podcast posts for the Caixin-Sinica Business Brief and Sinica Podcast.
- Research and write original analysis of trends in Chinese society and China in the world.
- Based in New York and currently enrolled in — or recently graduated from — a journalism, China or Asia studies, international studies, or other China-related degree program.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Strong command of the English language and a sense for grammar and style. Must be extremely detail oriented.
- Basic knowledge of China and Chinese language.
- More advanced knowledge of China (modern history, culture, foreign relations, and media environment) and Chinese language.
- Professional experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Experience with WordPress and basic knowledge of HTML — if you don’t have this experience, don’t worry, we will train you.
If you’re interested, please send a résumé, a short sample of your writing, and a one-paragraph introduction about why SupChina interests you to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SupChina — Fall 2017 Editorial Internship” in the subject line.