Fly direct to Hangzhou from the U.S. for as little as $493
Celebrate the Year of the Rooster with United Airlines on the only nonstop flights to Hangzhou from the U.S. Purchase by February 1, travel throughout most of the year. Fares start at $493 roundtrip. Visit United.com for details and booking.
China wakes up to its mental health problems / The Economist (paywall)
In China, attitudes toward mental illness are gradually improving and the country is making great efforts to tackle mental health conditions. Yet people who suffer from them still face imminent challenges, including mistreatment from mental hospitals, social discrimination, misplacement of psychiatric resources, and a shortage of experienced doctors.
Chinese converted out West are losing faith back home / Foreign Policy (paywall)
Many Chinese students who have spent time abroad have converted to Christianity, yet large numbers of them gave up their faith after going home. In largely atheist China, “the supply of intimate church environments continues to fall short of evidently growing demand” while “many returning Chinese converts find churches at home a bit cold.”
- Bird flu in China sparks concern as Asia travel peaks for Lunar New Year / CNBC
- The Ethiopian woman helping to bring Chinese to her homeland / Financial Times (paywall)
- China’s biggest festival is going global / The Economist (paywall)
- Chinese New Year: Inside the world’s largest trek / NYT (paywall)
- How Chinese science could lead to a tastier tomato / WSJ (paywall)