Labor unrest surges in China - SupChina
Free

We're a new type of news publication

China news you won't read elsewhere.

Weekly Newsletter

Get a roundup of the most important and interesting stories coming out of China.

Podcasts

Sinica, TechBuzz China, and our 6 other shows are the undisputed champs of China podcasts. Listen now.

Feature Articles

Interactive, web-based deep dives into the real China.

Premium

Join the thousands of executives, diplomats, and journalists that rely on SupChina for daily analysis of the full China story.

Daily Newsletter

All the news, every day. Premium analysis directly from our Editor-in-Chief Jeremy Goldkorn.

24/7 Slack Community

Have China-related questions and want answers? Our Slack community is a place to learn, network, and opine.

Free Live Events & More

Monthly live conference calls with leading experts, free entry to SupChina live events in cities around the world, and more.

"A jewel in the crown of China reporting. I go to it, look for it daily. Why? It adds so much insight into the real China. Essential news, culture, color. I find SupChina superior."
— Max Baucus, former U.S. Ambassador to China

Free

We're a new type of news publication

China news you won't read elsewhere.

Weekly Newsletter

Get a roundup of the most important and interesting stories coming out of China.

Podcasts

Sinica, TechBuzz China, and our 6 other shows are the undisputed champs of China podcasts. Listen now.

Feature Articles

Interactive, web-based deep dives into the real China.

OR… for more in-depth analysis and an online community of China-focused professionals:

Learn About Premium Access Now!
Learn More
Minimize
Learn More
Minimize

Labor unrest surges in China


  • China labor unrest spreads to ‘new economy’ couriers and sales staff at ecommerce companies / Financial Times (paywall)
    2016 saw a record high of 2,663 labor strikes and protests in China. As fewer young people are willing to join the low-wage, migrant workforce which the country’s manufacturing, construction, and booming new economy have heavily relied upon, China’s labor supply is shrinking significantly. The imbalance has led to a series of problems such as rising wages, increasing salary arrears, and threats to old workers’ social insurance payments that, together, have forced many shops and factories to close.
  • Citic, Baidu get green light to open online bank / Caixin
    A partnership between Chinese internet giant Baidu and state-owned Citic Bank to launch an online bank has received regulatory approval from the Chinese banking authority. In the deal, Citic Bank will hold a 70 percent stake in Baixin Bank, while Fujian Baidu Bo Rui Netcom Science and Technology, a subsidiary of Baidu, will own the remaining 30 percent. The move is Baidu’s attempt to stake a claim to the online banking territory that is currently dominated by its main competitors, Tencent and Alibaba.

Share
Jiayun Feng

Jiayun was born in Shanghai, where she spent her first 20 years and earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism at Fudan University. Interested in writing for a global audience, she attended the NYU Graduate School of Journalism for its Global & Joint Program Studies, which allowed her to pursue a journalism career along with her interest in international relations. She has previously interned for Sixth Tone and Shanghai Daily.