We are now two weeks out from the conclusion of the 19th Party Congress, and the Party’s propaganda apparatus is in full swing, advertising what it says are the key themes from the congress for China and the world to know.
- Listen to today’s Sinica Podcast for an in-depth discussion of the meaning of the congress, with two of the most astute followers of Chinese elite politics, Bill Bishop and Jude Blanchette.
- Read our explainer on the structure and mechanisms of the congress.
- Read our guide to the top three themes emerging from Party communications about the congress:
– Xi Jinping is now essentially the leader of the Communist Party of China for life, and the Party will seek to control all of society more, not less, for the foreseeable future.
– China is becoming a force on the global stage, and the Belt and Road Initiative is going to change the world’s politics and economics.
– China will seek to address inequality and environmental degradation, even if it leads to slower growth, but don’t expect market reform.
Xi protégé on high-powered propaganda team to spread president’s message / SCMP
China’s top coal province Shanxi to start winter pollution war early / Reuters
China’s Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei to set up anti-pollution body: report / Reuters
China needs urgent overhaul to treat billions of tonnes of waste, says top lawmaker / Reuters
Ma Jun: ‘Europe and China have different priorities’ on green finance / China Dialogue
Who wants to supply China’s surveillance state? The West / WSJ (paywall)
As Doklam embers die down, MEA puts finishing touches to China-centric research centre / The Wire
Taiwan to boost defense spending as U.S. expresses concern over possible military imbalance with China / Reuters
- North Korea
China’s Xi says hopes to promote relations with North Korea: KCNA / Reuters
Quick take: China to track reporters for fake news / Caixin
Opinion: Censorship is superfluous in Xi’s ‘New Era’ / Lowy Institute