Chinese state media today is dominated by articles on the China International Import Expo underway in Shanghai.
- Xí Jìnpíng 习近平 gave a speech that is the topic of the top stories on Xinhua News Agency’s English and Chinese websites, and the People’s Daily. Xi’s speech emphasizes China’s commitment to opening its economy.
- The Global Times English website’s most prominent story today is a short note on Henry Kissinger’s visit to Beijing: President Xi meets Henry Kissinger, calls him ‘old friend of Chinese people.’
The three top articles on the Global Times Chinese site are:
- What is the experience of driving China’s dream fighter jet? — a profile of a fighter pilot.
- Xi Jinping held a ceremony to welcome a group of Cuban leaders.
- An opinion piece titled “It is more difficult for China and Australia to restore good relations between their people than to repair political relations.” Translated excerpt:
The resumption of high-level visits between China and Australia will be easier than restoring mutual good feelings between the two peoples. Due to its performance in the past two years, Australia has left a bad impression on the Chinese people, probably the worst of all Western countries. Trump launched an unprecedented trade war with China, but Chinese people can at least understand the logic of the U.S. But Chinese public opinion does not understand why Australia has been so hostile to China in the past two years.