APCO Worldwide—a leading global communications consultancy—is a looking for a dynamic Communications leader to grow APCO’s communications business by maintaining and developing client relationships. The role will be based in Shanghai and report to the Managing Director.
We are searching for an experienced consultant (Director or Sr. Associate Director-level) who is energetic, analytical and excited to take ownership of client relationships. They will be responsible for leading a Shanghai-based team, developing 4 - 6 high-value client relationships, guiding strategy, executing projects, and growing the business. S/he will be a proven leader in strategic corporate communications in China with at least 8-10+ years of relevant experience in leading teams within a PR or communications agency and/or in-house corporate communications experience.
- Strategist and leader who understands the communications landscape in China and can effectively advise and consult for clients, while being willing and able to help execute
- Produces excellent written deliverables in Chinese (native fluency) and English, including client reports, proposals, and PowerPoint decks
- Deep experience in corporate and issue-focused media relations, digital communication as a channel for thought leadership and positioning; and experience in media and crisis training
- Accustomed to preparing for, and responding to high-profile crisis situations, such as product recalls, corporate restructuring, consumer complaints, and litigation
- Effective at presenting to and working with clients and stakeholders outside of China
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects/clients and sets high standards for client service
- Motivates clients to expand projects appropriately and honestly by demonstrating positive outcomes for client
Note: this role will focus on strategic communications, corporate affairs and public affairs, not consumer PR or marketing communications.
- Strong consideration will be given to candidates with experience in health care, fast moving consumer goods, transportation and technology sectors. Additionally, preference will be given to candidates who have worked in communicating around material business issues (such as M&A, transactions and litigation), innovation and sustainability.
- Analyzes client requirements to develop scopes of work and budgets that are appropriate and profitable
- Demonstrates understanding of the consulting business model and works to deliver profitable client service
LEADERSHIP & TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Directly manages client teams of 3 – 6 colleagues, and guides colleagues in Beijing and Hong Kong
- Develops team members’ skills, and offering mentoring
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues
- Entrepreneurial and drives initiatives that recognize and reward staff efforts/achievements
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas and experiences
- Generates and supports qualified new business
- Creates high quality proposals and pitch presentations that are considered best in class
- Proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas for current and prospective clients
- Actively seeks opportunities for marketing APCO through thought leadership, networking, etc.
- Identified as internal and external expert on corporate and public affairs; networks externally
QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS
EDUCATION: University degree or higher
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 8+ years of relevant communications experience; experience in PR, corporate affairs or public affairs for an MNC or consultancy in China; strong project, budget and client management skills; experience pursuing and developing new business; fluency in Mandarin and English required.
OFFICE ENVIRONMENT: The position will be based in APCO’s Shanghai office working alongside approximately 25 Chinese and international colleagues in Shanghai and a staff of approximately 50 people across China. Local travel and occasional international travel is a requirement of the job.
To apply, please send your English resume and cover letter to Ms. Delice Wang, APCO Worldwide via email email@example.com. Please clearly specify that you are applying for Communications Director position in Shanghai in the subject line of your email.
Please note that only those chosen for further consideration will be contacted.